CHINESE STYLE SAUSAGE ROLLS
More puff pastry love in the form of sausage rolls. This time we're going Chinese. You'd think by now that I'll be running out of savory roll/ puff recipes but no there's still plenty more to come after this one. Keep your eyes out for lamb and halloumi & my cheese and onion puffs which will satisfy all the vegetarians out there. Unfortunelty all vegans should look elsewhere, there's no way I'm attempting a puff pastry without butter.
Ingredients: (Makes 12)
- 400g Sausage Meat
- 1 Onion (Finely Chopped)
- 2 Garlic Cloves (Finely Chopped)
- 1cm Chunk Ginger (Finely Chopped)
- 2 Tbsp Chinese Five Spice
- 3/4 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 375g Pack Of Ready Rolled Puff Pastry
- Handful Of Sesame & Poppy Seeds
- 1 Beaten Egg To Glaze
- Soy Sauce (To Dip)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas 6. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the onion, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften. Stir in the garlic, ginger and 5 spice, and cook for a further minute. Tip into a bowl and leave to cool.
- Add the sausage meat to the onion mixture. Mix well with your hands.
- Unroll the puff pastry landscape-way in front of you and cut in half, lengthways, to give 2 long pieces. Spread the hoisin sauce over each sheet, leaving a border of 1cm on the long edges.
- Shape half the filling into a log shape that will run the length of one of the pastry sheets, putting it about 5mm in from one of the long edges of the pastry. Repeat with the other sheet and filling. Brush the far edge of the pastry with egg and then fold the pastry over the filling and seal. Roll so the seam is underneath. Cut the log into 8 pieces, brush with egg and put on the baking trays.
- Mix the seeds and sprinkle on top. Put the trays in the preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes until the rolls are golden and crisp. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly.