Moules and frites or mussels and fries is a popular dish from Belgium & France. This recipe for Moules marinière is probably the most common and recognisable. A healthy glug of white wine, teamed up with fresh herbs, garlic, shallots & double cream is all you need to create your won French bistro style meal at home.
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
- 1.75kg Mussels
- 2 Garlic Clove (Finely Chopped)
- 2 Shallots (Finely Chopped)
- 25g Unsalted Butter
- 100ml Dry White Wine
- Juice Of 1 Lemon
- 60ml Double Cream
- Bunch Fresh Parsley (Roughly Chopped)
- French Fries (To Serve)
- Wash the mussels under plenty of cold, running water. Discard any open ones that won't close when lightly squeezed.
- Soften the garlic and shallots in the butter with half of the parsley, in a large pan big enough to take all the mussels - it should only be half full.
- Add the mussels and wine, turn up the heat, then cover and steam them open in their own juices for 3-4 minutes. Give the pan a good shake every now and then.
- Add the cream and remainder of chopped parsley and remove from the heat.
- Spoon into four large warmed bowls and serve with french fries.