SPICED CARROT & BANANA CAKE
Baked as a tray bake, then topped with creamed cheese frosting and walnuts, this cake offers a great moist sponge, the crunch of walnuts & a subtle hint of all spice. This cake generally doesn't last too long in my house. Recipe courtesy of Great British Bake Off contestant Chetna Makan.
- 200g Unsalted Butter
- 200g Light Soft Brown Sugar
- 200g Carrots (Grated)
- 1 Ripe Banana (Mashed)
- 2Tsp All Spice
- 200g Self Raising Flour
- 1Tsp Baking Powder
- 4 Eggs
- 50g Walnuts (Roughly Chopped) + Handful More For Topping
- 250g Mascarpone Cheese
- 1Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2Tbsp Icing Sugar (Sifted)
- Preheat the oven to 180c, gas mark 4. Grease a square cake tin/ brownie tin and line with non sick greaseproof paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add the grated carrot, banana & all spice and mix well. Followed by the flour, baking powder and the eggs. Finally add the walnuts and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the tin and bake for 45-50 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Leave to cool completely.
- To make the icing mix the mascarpone, icing sugar and vanilla extract together to form a smooth paste.
- Spoon the mixture over the cooled cake and spread over evenly with a palette knife. Sprinkle over the chopped walnuts & serve.