PARMESAN ENCRUSTED CHICKEN GOUJONS
This recipe sees the chicken goujon getting a bit of a makeover, with a dash of flavour to the breadcrumbs and adding an equally satisfying dip as a side. A crispy coating, and a moist chicken fillet make for a great appetiser or snack especially when your having a lazy day watching films or sports, like I sometimes have.
Ingredients (Chicken Goujons):
- 125g Fresh Fine Breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp Freshly Chopped Parsley
- 1 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 20g Finely Grated Parmesan
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- 4 Boneless & Skinless Chicken Breasts (Cut Into Large Strips As Above)
- 50g Plain Flour
- 2/3 Medium Eggs (Beaten)
- Vegetable/ Sunflower Oil For Deep Frying
Ingredients (Sriracha Mayo):
- 4 Tbsp Mayonaise
- 1 Tbsp Sriracha (To Taste, Depends On Wether You Can Handle The Spice)
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- Handful Freshly Chopped Parsley (Optional)
Tip: When bread crumbing the chicken goujons the process can be made easier if you keep one hand for the dipping of the egg and the other hand for the flour and the breadcrumbs, otherwise you will leave yourself in a bit of a sticky mess.
- Add your oil to a deep fat fryer at 180c or if you don’t own a deep fat fryer, heat 3/4cm of oil in a saucepan over a medium heat.
Mix the breadcrumbs, cayenne pepper, parmesan and parsley in a shallow bowl. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place the flour in another shallow bowl.
Dip the chicken pieces in plain flour, then in the beaten egg and finally coat in the breadcrumbs. Shake off the excess and set the the chicken goujons aside until ready to fry.
- When ready to fry place the chicken goujons into the oil, no more than 4 at a time to avoid crowing the pan. Fry for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. Once cooked remove from the pan, and keep warm until all your goujons are cooked. (I normally place my goujons on a lined baking tray and place in the oven on a low heat 100c/ gas mark 1/4 to keep warm whilst I fry the rest)
- Meanwhile make your sriracha mayo by mixing the mayonnaise, sriracha and lemon juice together in a bowl. Sprinkle over the parsley as garnish.