LAMB & APRICOT KOFTEH
A brunch recipe from the middle east this time courtesy of Sabrina Ghayour. Lamb mince, pistachios, apricot, egg and a bunch of spices make what is essentially a very large kebab.
But why have a kebab for breakfast?
Continental breakfasts feature a range of cold meats and a traditional english breakfast is based off a whole host of meats, so what makes this dish any different. It can be enjoyed hot or cold, even though I regularly have it cold, eating the leftovers over a period of days after cooking.
A medium/ large loaf tin is required
Ingredients: (Serves 4-6)
- 500g Lamb Mince
- 7 Large Free-Range Eggs (3 Raw, 4 Hard Boiled & Peeled)
- 25g Fresh Dill (Finely Chopped)
- 25g Fresh Chives (Finely Chopped)
- 2Tsp Ground Turmeric
- 2 Garlic Cloves (Crushed)
- 1Tsp Ground Coriander
- 1Tsp Ground Cumin
- 1Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1Tsp Nigella Seeds
- 50g Whole, Shelled Pistachios
- 100g Dried Apricots (Roughly Chopped)
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. In a mixing bowl, combine the lamb mince, raw eggs, herbs, spices, pistachios, apricots and a generous seasoning of salt and black pepper. Mix together well.
- Press just less than half the mixture into the base of the loaf tin, then make an indent lengthways down the centre, end to end. Lay the boiled eggs in a row in the indent. Pile the remaining mixture over the eggs and smooth the surface into a peak, ensuring the eggs are all covered.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the tin from the oven, leave to cool slightly fr around 5-10 minutes, then turn out and cut into slices. This can be eaten warm straight out the oven but I personally prefer mine cold.