BANANA & WHOLEMEAL PANCAKES
What is a pancake? This is a question that will get varied answers depending on what country you’re from.
British Pancakes have three main ingredients flour, eggs and milk. Some people also add melted butter to the batter. The batter is runny in consistency and makes a thin layer on the bottom of the frying pan when the pan is tipped to one side, more importantly the pancake does not rise. A common accompaniment is sugar and lemon.
French Crepes are made from flour, milk and a large amount of eggs in comparison to other pancakes. Due to their thinness they are usually served with a filling such as fruit or ice cream. Crepes can also be served as a savoury dish often filled with seafood or meat.
American Pancakes If you see a stack of thick pancakes, then they’re American pancakes. These are personally my favourite. They often using a raising agent such as baking powder, to allow for the thicker, fluffy batter. Often served with maple syrup and bacon.
My recipe today, is an American style pancake with a healthy twist using bananas and wholemeal flour within the batter. This recipe came from ‘Eat Like You Give A F**k’. So if your looking for a healthy pancake for breakfast, try this one out, but bare in mind that these are very filling, something I found out after eating a stack of 4.
Ingredients: (Makes 8 Pancakes)
- 325g Wholemeal Flour
- 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 475ml Almond Milk (You Can Use Normal Milk)
- 1 Small Banana (Mashed)
- Oil (For Cooking The Pancakes)
- In a large bowl , whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Make a well in the centre and add the milk and mashed banana. Fold the mixture together until there are no more dry spots.
- Heat a skillet/ frying pan over a medium heat, and lightly grease the pan with some oil. Pour some batter into the pan and cook for around 2 minutes or until small bubbles appear on top. When these appear its time to flip the pancake over.
- Continue cooking on the other side for 1-2 minutes or until the pancake is golden brown.
- Serve stacked together topped with whatever you like. I added chopped banana and some maple syrup.