SMOKEY MAC 'N' CHEESE
A twist on the classic macaroni and cheese dish, topping it with crispy smoked bacon and adding a delicious smoked flavoured cheddar into the roux sauce.
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
- 700ml Full Fat Milk
- 350g Macaroni
- 50g Unsalted Butter
- 50g Plain Flour
- 50g Mature Grated Cheddar Cheese
- 185g (1 Pack) Applewood Smoked Cheddar (Or Any Other Smoked Cheese)
- 1 Tsp Wholegrain Mustard
- 50g Parmesan
- 1 Tsp Grated Nutmeg
- 300g Streaky Smoked Bacon
- Start by making a roux sauce (A roux is simply flour and fat, cooked together, then used to thicken sauces.) Melt the butter in the medium pan over a low heat. When foaming, add the flour, then cook, stirring constantly, for 1 min on a low heat.
- Finish the sauce by slowly stirring the milk bit by bit into the roux until smooth. Simmer for 3-4 mins, stirring often, until the sauce has thickened.
- Remove the pan from the heat, then add the cheeses, nutmeg and mustard. Season, then stir until the cheese has melted.
- Cook the macaroni according to pack instructions until just soft, but still with a little bite (This is called al dente in Italian). Drain in a colander, then add the macaroni to the sauce and place back over a low heat while you prepare the bacon.
- Cut the bacon into small chunks and fry in a non stick pan/ griddle pan over a medium/ high heat until crispy.
- To serve place the macaroni cheese in a bowl topped with the crispy bacon.