SAUSAGE, SAGE & FETA ROLLS
Last Christmas I took these sausage rolls to work as part of a sausage roll chilli roulette. Some of the sausage rolls were very heavily spiced, compared to others and to the unlucky few, they had a very nice surprise on the first bite.
Tip: Make sure these have cooled completely before eating, unless you like the taste of warm melted feta. Which I don't.
Recipe taken from delicious mag.
- 1 Onion (Finely Chopped)
- 2 Garlic Cloves (Finely Chopped)
- Small Bunch Fresh Sage (Leaves Roughly Chopped)
- 2 Tsp Dried Chilli Flakes
- 1 Tsp Dried Oregano
- 200g Feta (Crumbled)
- 450g Sausage meat
- 2 x 320g packs ready-rolled all butter puff pastry (Or 2x My Puff Pastry Recipe)
- 1 Egg (Beaten)
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Heat a glug of the oil in a medium frying pan and fry the onion for 5-6 minutes over a medium heat until starting to soften. Add the garlic and fry for 2-3 minutes, then put in a large mixing bowl and leave to cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the sage, chilli, oregano, feta and sausagemeat to onion and garlic. Season generously with salt and pepper, then use your hands to mix everything together really well.
- Unroll one of the sheets of pastry and cut in half lengthways. Place a quarter of the sausage mixture down each length of pastry, just off-centre, in a 2-3cm wide sausage shape. Lightly brush the wide edge of the pastry with the egg glaze, then fold over to encase the filling, leaving a small lip of pastry. Press down along the pastry lip to seal, then brush with the beaten egg and press a fork into the pastry lip to crimp and seal further. Repeat with the remaining pastry and filling.
- Use a sharp knife to cut each long roll into 4/6 individual sausage rolls and transfer to a baking sheet lined with non-stick baking paper. You can chill now for 20 minutes, but usually I can't wait and just move on to step 5.
- Brush again with beaten egg to glaze and if you like sprinkle with a seed/s of your choice. Bake for 20 minutes until risen and golden and the meat is cooked through. Wait until they have completely cooled and enjoy.