PÂTE SUCRÉE (SWEET SHORTCRUST PASTRY)
This is an essential recipe for making any sweet tart, such as a tart au citron or apple flan. I make it the traditional way by hand, mainly due to not owning a food processor or stand mixer large enough. Very easy to make, but lining a flan tin can be slightly more difficult and does take time to master.
Ingredients: (Enough To Line 24cm Flan Tin)
- 250g Plain Flour
- Pinch Of Salt
- 125g Unsalted Butter (Softened)
- 125g Caster Sugar
- 4 Small Egg Yolks
- 1-3 Drops Of Vanilla Extract
Method: (Traditional Hand)
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until well combined, then beat in the vanilla extract & egg yolks, one at a time until fully incorporated into the mixture.
- Mix in the flour until the mixture comes together as a ball of dough.
- Tip the pastry out onto a floured work surface and knead briefly until smooth.
- Wrap the pastry in cling film and chill for 30 minutes. Alternatively, it can be frozen for use at a later date.
Method: (Food Processor)
- Place the butter & sugar into the food processor and pulse until fully combined.
- Add the egg yolks and vanilla and pulse once more until fully incorporated.
- Add the flour and salt and pulse until the mixture is a uniform colour & texture. Remove from the processor and bring the pastry together with your hands, before shaping into a flat disc and chilling.