This base of this recipe was taken from Delicious Magazine, but I decided to add some more depth to the overall dish, by adding chickpeas and potato. This spicy dish is perfect for a saturday night served with a Persian Flatbread, and cous cous. This recipe uses a fair few spices, therefore you'll have to have a well stocked spice rack or be prepared to write down your shopping list.
Ingredients: (Berbere Spice Blend)
- 1 Tsp Ground Ginger, Fenugreek & Black Pepper (Yellow Mustard Seeds Can Be Substituted For Fenugreek)
- ½ Tsp Ground Coriander
- ½ Tsp Ground Cardamom
- ¼ Tsp Ground Cloves
- ¼ Tsp Ground Allspice
- Pinch Ground Cinnamon
- ½ Tbsp Sea Salt
- 1 Tbsp Paprika
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
- Splash Of Vegetable Oil
- 2 Large Onions (Finely Chopped)
- 4 Garlic Cloves (Finley Chopped)
- 1kg Chicken Thighs (Deboned & Cut Into Cubes)
- 2x400g Tin Plum Tomatoes
- 1x400g Tin Chickpeas (Drained & Liquid Removed)
- 2 Potatoes (Peeled & Cubed)
- 2 Beef Stock Cubes
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Puree
- Bunch Fresh Coriander (To Serve)
- In a large pan, heat a glug of oil. Add the onions and fry for 5 minutes until starting to colour, then add the garlic and fry for 2-3 minutes more or until the onions are golden.
- Add the chicken to the onions and fry, turning, until starting to colour.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and berbere blend and bring to the boil. Once boiled reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 1hr 30mins. Taste, season and serve with rice & flatbread.